Rishi Kumar, a Silicon Valley hi-tech executive and mechanical engineer has announced his intention to run for U.S. Congress (CA-16). As a Saratoga councilmember, he was elected with the most votes in Saratoga’s history for getting things done.
The Indian American is hoping to win the seat held by U.S. Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (CA-16), who has announced that she will not seek reelection in 2024, after 42 years in public service, including 32 years in Congress and ten years on the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors.
Rep. Eshoo will serve out her term through January of 2025 with the same vigor and commitment she is known for by her constituents, colleagues and staff. She is recognized as a national leader on healthcare, technology, and environmental policy. Rep. Eshoo was named one of the most powerful women in Silicon Valley by the Mercury News, and one of the 100 most influential people in Artificial Intelligence by Time Magazine.
She is one of the most effective Democratic Members of Congress known as a consensus builder and proficient legislator. During her tenure, 66 of her bills were signed into law by five Presidents, despite serving two thirds of her tenure in Congress in the minority.
Rishi Kumaris a Silicon Valley hi-tech executive and mechanical engineer running for U.S. Congress (CA-16). As a Saratoga councilmember, he was elected with the most votes in Saratoga’s history for getting things done.
He has served on Governor Brown’s UC Regents committee and California’s K-12 public school computer science implementation panel. Rishi has been elected and served multiple terms as the Executive Board and Delegate to the California Democratic Party. He brings tech industry experience and a track record of people-centric public service.
Rishi Kumar Said:
- I am grateful for the overwhelming support we have received in the last few hours. Our campaign – that never stopped after the November 2022 election – has now propelled forward, and we will together secure a win next year!
- I respect Rep. Eshoo’s five decades of public service. I will certainly miss her anticipated contributions to the world of Artificial Intelligence.
- I am ready to accept the torch. The time has come to pass the torch to a new generation. I will foreverreject the special interest group, the dark tainted money and our district will never subvert the interest of the American people…. I will always fight for the people!”
Rishi’s technology expertise as a C-suite executive
Rishi’s expertise from more than two decades in the software industry – working for a few AI companies – gives him the unique expertise to strategically guide Silicon Valley into the future.
We need new leadership, not “recycled” establishment & career politicians.
Recycled Water – Yes! Recycled Politicians – No!
Now more than ever, we need leaders who understand technology and those who are able to grapple with the upcoming automation and prepare American workers and our economy for the future. This is our opportunity to leave an enduring mark on the district for years to come..for our children and our future.
Over the past decade, Rishi has served in various influential roles
Rishi has served as an Executive Board member of the California Democratic Party, and has served on California Governor’s University of California Regents Selection Committee. As a panelist on the California Department of Education’s Computer Science Implementation panel, Rishi is proud to have implemented California’s K-12 Computer Science curriculum.
As an elected leader, Rishi has led with commonsense
Rishi successfully tackled significant challenges such as reducing crime, utility bills, and taxes in his city and regionally. Rishi’s reelection with record-breaking votes – highest votes in 66 years of my city – is a testament to his problem-solving capabilities and commitment to effective leadership.
A historical election performance last year
Our campaign in 2022 achieved a historic milestone, garnering 42% or 102,000 votes – the highest ever for a challenger in this district. We won many cities and precincts in the congressional district – that had never been accomplished by any Rep. Eshoo challenger, and we were encouraged by hundreds of our neighbors to run again in 2024.
- Rishi was only 21 when he stepped off a packed red bus, passport-in-hand and ran towards the American consulate in Mumbai.
- He grew up in a middle class suburb apartment in Mumbai with no air conditioning, my dad worked extremely hard in the cryogenics industry, and my mom herded three boys.
- Rishi Kumar is a Silicon Valley hi-tech executive and mechanical engineer running for U.S. Congress. As a Saratoga councilmember, he was elected with the most votes in Saratoga’s history for getting things done.
- Rishi has been elected and served multiple terms as the Executive Board and Delegate to the California Democratic Party.
- Rishi Kumar secured 102,000 votes, receiving a historic 42.2% of the total vote share – winning many cities and precincts in the congressional district.
- Rishi’s motivation is to change the broken sold out Washington culture by bringing a new brand of people-driven, rather than lobbyist-driven, politics. Rishi’s run is for the people.
- As an immigrant and an engineer working for IBM, Rishi found his calling as an activist stepping up for complex community challenges that he couldn’t ignore.