A prompt is a writing exercise in the form of a single word, phrase, or even a photo used as a starting point to focus and practice creative writing. This exercise is important for writers of any level to expand their craft and explore new grounds. It can be the inspiration behind an idea, an article, or even a whole work of fiction. The point is to begin writing whether it is on the specific topic of the prompt or an entirely different one that you wander to.
Why use writing prompts?
Overcome writer’s block. There is nothing more daunting than a blinking cursor on your screen. Whether you are in the middle of your piece or trying to come up with something new, a prompt can get you going in a new direction. Resetting your brain to a new angle can be just what you need to finish your work or turn on a creative light bulb.
Expand creatively. Working with prompts can actually be a great way to start building your own ideas. Some prompts can lead you to new avenues that you have not yet explored as a writer. The more you wander into new territories, the more imaginative and creative your writing can be. In addition, the materials you end up writing following a prompt can in fact prove to be worth pursuing. You never know what could come out once you start writing, sometimes, it can be way more than you expected.
Form a habit. If you are an aspiring writer, you might be struggling with making a habit out of writing or finishing your pieces on time. Doing more and more writing exercises can be genuinely beneficial to improve your skills as well as help you write more regularly. The more you train your brain using these prompts, the easier you will find writing to be.
Get immersed in the community. During your search for writing prompts, you will encounter many blogs, forums, and Facebook groups that share ideas, review writing and offer support. Getting involved in these communities can be great for any writer in order to meet like-minded people and form meaningful relationships with fellow writers.
30 writing prompts about love and relationships
Writing about love may seem trivial to some, but it is actually one of the most sought-after genres of fiction. Love is at the core of the human condition, and it is what drives us to do a lot of what we do even if it is irrational or strange. That’s why love is at the center of any powerful story from Wuthering Heights to Star Wars.
It is not the easiest thing to write about love especially with so many clichés out there. To write a realistic and moving love story, whether it is romantic or Platonic, a writer must dig deep within themselves and be truly vulnerable in their expression. It means to look past the clichés and tropes and find the truth between characters.
Even if writing about love is not your forte or your preferred genre, a spice of love in your horror, thriller, or adventure piece of fiction is necessary for an emotional dimension to your storytelling.
So without further ado, here are 30 writing prompts that can inspire your next piece of writing:
- Friends with benefits: happily ever after or a terrible idea?
- Enemies forced to work on a common goal: will they or won’t they?
- Their break up was a mistake but is it too late?
- They are from different worlds. Can they find a way?
- Lies have corrupted their relationship. Is there room for a second chance?
- Forced apart by reasons beyond their control. Will they ever find their way back?
- Afraid of rejection: what happens when you risk it all for love?
- Fighting for a cause: romance within the wreckage
- What happens when they reveal their true supernatural selves?
- When time travel and love collide in a single second. Can they find each other?
- They found love in a lucid dream. Can it become a reality?
- Can love survive with a workaholic partner?
- How to hold on to the person of your dreams?
- How to choose the perfect partner for you?
- How to make your partner feel loved?
- Signs your relationship is healthy
- Red flags that mean you need to run from your relationship
- How does love make you a better person?
- How can an unhealthy relationship affect you?
- Communication: the key to a successful relationship
- Love clichés that actually ring true
- Unexpected places to meet new people
- Finding love in a hopeless place
- The most challenging parts of maintaining a relationship
- The unforgivable sins of love, lust, and betrayal
- How to save a failed relationship?
- Can long distance really work?
- How to revive romance in a dead relationship?
- How to heal a broken heart?
- The power of ‘I love you’
Love is all around us wherever we look. From the love our mothers give us to the support we shower our friends with finding the one, love is an essential part of your story. When you write characters, love has to be part of their story too. These prompts can help you find the angle of romance in your fiction piece or inspire you to write your own version.