You’ll love sipping this green goodness. You could have it anytime of the day as this soup is perfect for a nutritious start to a cold winter morning to even a starter for a lovely dinner treat. Rich in greens and packed with flavours, this is a must try recipe.
How I developed this recipe-
The only soups kids usually have are the creamy ones, which uses a mix of flour-butter-milk— which makes the white sauce base. Even though I like how cream of vegetable soups taste,I never found the use of white sauce or dairy cream as a very healthy thing in these soups.
As many of the kids today are lactose intolerant, including myself, I really tried my best to make this recipe creamy, yet almost dairy free (used ghee- make it completely lactose free) and with nutritiously better dairy substitutes.
Not only that, unlike many other vegetable soup recipes, this one uses a variety of greens which adds to the nutritive value of this recipe.
What’s special about this recipe-
. Lots of greens- Even though the main veggies used in this recipe are broccoli and spinach, I’ve incorporated more veggies like zucchinis, brussel sprouts, onions, cellery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, leeks & tomatoes in recipe, packing it with folate and lots of vitamins.
. Dairy free substitutes- I’ve used cashew cream/coconut cream substitutes instead of flour-butter-milk white sauce and milk cream in this recipe. This not only makes this recipe simply lactose free, but also, makes it more nutritious.
. Poached egg – The addition of a perfectly poached egg not only adds more protein and good fats into this recipe, but also, makes it extra delicious.
. 2 cups broccoli florets
. 2 cups spinach leaves
. Half cup roughly chopped carrots
. Half cup roughly chopped brussel sprouts
. Half cup roughly chopped white onions
. Half cup roughly chopped tomatoes
. Half cup roughly chopped leeks
. Half cup roughly chopped cellery
. Half cup roughly chopped zucchini
. Half cup roughly chopped button mushrooms
. 4 cups vegetable stock
. 5 garlic cloves
. 2 teaspoons ghee or olive oil
. Salt & Pepper to taste
. Half teaspoon oregano
. 1 teaspoon white vinegar
. 2 tablespoons cashew cream or coconut cream
. 1 poached egg ( per bowl of soup)
. A pinch of red chilli flakes.
. Bread croutons
. Chopped parsley
How to make-
- Heat oil/ghee & sauté onion & garlic until garlic starts browning.
- Now add rest of the veggies-reserving half cup of broccoli & spinach and sauté it adding few pinches of salt, until lightly browned and mushy.
- Blend this sautéed veggie mix with a little of the broth until well puréed.
- Pour it back to the pan and heat to a boil added rest of the broth.
- Lower the flame and stir in the cashew/coconut cream.
- Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the oregano too.
- Boil the soup down to a desired thicker consistency.
- In another pan heat a little olive olive and sauté the broccoli and spinach with a pinch of salt, until broccoli is tender.
- Serve hot soup topped with sautéed broccoli & spinach, bread croutons, chopped parsley & poached eggs sprinkled with chilli flakes and salt.
Notes, tips and suggestions-
. You could make this recipe gluten-free by just omitting the bread croutons or substituting it with gluten-free ones.
. You could go for crumbled or pan fried tofu instead of poached eggs, if you are a vegan.
. Directions for perfectly poached eggs are given in detail with my Egg Benedict & Egg Florentine recipe.